www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Lincoln Stein <lst...@w3.org>
Subject config/1295: Default Options is "All"
Date Wed, 22 Oct 1997 12:09:29 GMT

>Number:         1295
>Category:       config
>Synopsis:       Default Options is "All"
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
This is a followup to my "critical" bug report from this morning.  I was
mistaken.  ExecCGI does work as expected.  The problem is that Options
defaults to All if it is not mentioned in a <directory> section.  My server
had no <Directory> or <Location> sections for user-supported directories.
Hence all ~username directories had ExecCGI turned on.

This seems to me to be a dangerous situation.  Shouldn't Options default to
"None"?  At the very least, there should be some warning in the documentation
about this, and a default <Location /~*> entry in access.conf-dist that establishes
conservative policies.