www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Dean Gaudet <dgau...@arctic.org>
Subject Re: general/1262: Vhost overlap reports indistinguishable and to stderr only
Date Tue, 21 Oct 1997 06:30:00 GMT
The following reply was made to PR general/1262; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Dean Gaudet <dgaudet@arctic.org>
To: Ken Coar <Coar@DECUS.Org>
Cc: apbugs@apache.org
Subject: Re: general/1262: Vhost overlap reports indistinguishable and to stderr only
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 1997 23:22:39 -0700 (PDT)

 On 19 Oct 1997, Ken Coar wrote:

 > 1. They get reported so early in the config parsing that they
 >    come out on stderr - so they never appear in the ErrorLog
 >    for later reference.  Having to restart the server to reproduce
 >    them is not a very good option.

 You'd have to open the error_log after the first round of config parsing.
 This would be a cool thing, I've no idea what bad effects it would have.

 > 2. If there are problems with my name-vhosts, and they're defined
 >    using <VirtualHost n.n.n.n>, the messages complain strictly about
 >    the n.n.n.n identity.  If all my <VirtualHost> containers use that
 >    syntax, there's no way to tell which ones are having problems.
 >    The log message should include the value from ServerName directive
 >    inside the <VirtualHost> container, or some other way of identifying
 >    which ones have problems.

 It could include the filename:line_number ... well there's a bug in the
 calculation of those, I've got a patch for it somewhere.

 It should also mention that "NameVirtualHost" might be needed.

 Dean