www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Michael Ballbach <ballb...@lorien.ml.org>
Subject general/1253: Virutal hosting problem
Date Sun, 19 Oct 1997 03:36:07 GMT

>Number:         1253
>Category:       general
>Synopsis:       Virutal hosting problem
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
I had set up a slew of dns aliases to my server, so I could set up virtual
hosts for individual users, i.e., ballbach.lorien.ml.org would be a virtual
host that would use ~ballbach/public_html as the document root. This was not
dependant on different ip addresses, but different domain names. Now, the first
virtual host is _always_ used, and the normal document root isn't. This problem
does _not_ manifest itself in apache 1.2.4, or lower I suppose. This could be
a feature I guess.
>How-To-Repeat:
You can't, unless you set up domain name aliases on a local machine, and a
virtual host entry. I had to revert to 1.2.4 so it would work right.
>Fix:
No, I assume that the virtual host code no longer basis it's decisions on the
domain name the browser passes it, but resolves it, and if it can answer for the
ip, it does, and uses that default root