www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From JDC <yo...@parodius.com>
Subject general/1247: Main server configuration & VirtualHosts are botched
Date Sat, 18 Oct 1997 01:52:49 GMT

>Number:         1247
>Category:       general
>Synopsis:       Main server configuration & VirtualHosts are botched
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       critical
  Seems you guys have a little "bug" to work out in 1.3b2. The following
situation works 100% fine in 1.2.4, and 1.3a1. I think Dean is smoking
some type of crack, personally. Anyways.

  Your new (and STILL undocumented: grrrrrrr...) "NameVirtualHost" function
is not self-explanitory as you may seem. It's implementation vs. the normal
<VirtualHost> function seems to do nothing more than break things.

  By "break things," I am referring to simple name-based VirtualHosts.

  Our server consists of ~30 VirtualHosts, using names. Our server's IP is
206.190.135.249. Our server name (using ServerName, outside of a VirtualHost
directive) is www.parodius.com. Our VirtualHosts are defines via DNS CNAMEs,
and point to 'parodius.com'.

  We define a multitude of <VirtualHost>'s, but only the *FIRST* defined
<VirtualHost> works. For instance:

    <VirtualHost blah.parodius.com>
    <VirtualHost foo.parodius.com>
    </VirtualHost>

  The result is that http://foo.parodius.com/ holds the web data/pages
for "blah". Not to mention, our default server uses this <VirtualHost>
directive for it's *OWN* default as well! WTF!

  This "new" (and may I say, "seems to be "hacked"") implementation of
VirtualHosts (with the **UNDOCUMENTED** "NameVirtualHost" directive) is
bringing the newest Apache to the apex of it's own insanity.

  It's not a configuration bug on my end, it's not "a typo." It's purely
this new botched VirtualHost code which is driving myself, and I guarentee
many other people, absolutely INSANE.

  "Thanks."
>How-To-Repeat:
  I can't give you a URL, as our web server has to be up and functional
virtually 24/7. However, try using DNS CNAMEs and <VirtualHost> name
directives to experience the same problem.
>Fix:
  Yeah, kick Dean in the ass.
%0