www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From David Bennett <d...@bensoft.com>
Subject mod_imap/1242: .map files that have relative references using .. that go above the DocumentRoot go into an Endless loop.
Date Fri, 17 Oct 1997 16:56:46 GMT

>Number:         1242
>Category:       mod_imap
>Synopsis:       .map files that have relative references using .. that go above the DocumentRoot
go into an Endless loop.
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       critical
The symptom is that the process
spawned by the map file goes berserk and gobbles up up to 98% of the CPU
capacity.  Paul at State51 has modified the file and the problem went away.
However, I believe there is some auto-update facility which is overwriting
it at night.

SO - I've made a copy of the working file called vscrapbar.map.state51 in
the same directory.  Please make this file your primary version of
vscrapbar.map so that it doesn't get overwritten by the bad version.

here's the original... (bad)

rect http://www.stonesbazaar.com/ 1,7 56,22
rect ../../album/index.html 1,26 56,41
rect ../../tour/index.html 1,45 56,61
rect ../../news/index.html 1,65 56,81
rect ../../cybervote/index.html 1,85 56,100
rect ../../index.html 0,105 56,121

(These .map files were wrong.  The ../.. referenced one directory too high.
Changing to ../xxx solved the problem.
>How-To-Repeat:
Map a map file that uses .. to incorrectly reference a URL that is higher
than the DocumentRoot.
>Fix:
Pretty sure it's in mod_imap.c.  I have seen other beta bug reports on this
module that look very similar.
%0