www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From dgau...@hyperreal.org
Subject Re: general/1197: VirtualHost directives don't respond to all the IP's that a name might resolve to.
Date Sun, 05 Oct 1997 02:39:47 GMT
Synopsis: VirtualHost directives don't respond to all the IP's that a name might resolve to.

State-Changed-From-To: open-closed
State-Changed-By: dgaudet
State-Changed-When: Sat Oct  4 19:39:45 PDT 1997
State-Changed-Why:
Now that I understand the entire problem ... this should work,
but even if it is broken it won't be fixed in 1.2.  The vhost code
has been changed again in 1.3 and it should support this ... maybe
not in 1.3a1, but in 1.3b1 whenever we release it.

Note that if redundancy is your concern there are other ways to
achieve the same thing.  You only need one IP address, unless you're
running two servers -- in that case you could use m4 or perl to
generate two configs for them.  If you want to use just one server
with two network interfaces then I suggest (and I suggest this for
all servers, even with one network interface) that you put all the
vhost ip addresses on the *loopback* interface rather than on
the ethernet interface(s).  If you slap an entire net of addresses
on your loopback then you only need to tell your router where
to find that net ... and if one host should go down then you can
move to another host by changing the route on the router.

In any event, sorry for the hassle.  The vhost code sucks when
it comes to HTTP/1.1-Host based hosts.

Dean