www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From "Erik T. Brandsberg" <ebran...@shell.the-link.net>
Subject Re: general/1197: VirtualHost directives don't respond to all the IP's that a name might resolve to.
Date Sun, 05 Oct 1997 01:20:04 GMT
The following reply was made to PR general/1197; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: "Erik T. Brandsberg" <ebrandsb@shell.the-link.net>
To: Dean Gaudet <dgaudet@arctic.org>
Subject: Re: general/1197: VirtualHost directives don't respond to all the IP's that a name
might resolve to.
Date: Sat, 4 Oct 1997 20:14:11 -0500 (CDT)

 Erik Brandsberg
 CIO, The Link
 On Sat, 4 Oct 1997, Dean Gaudet wrote:

 > On Sat, 4 Oct 1997, Erik T. Brandsberg wrote:
 >
 > > The primary ServerName directive is vhost.the-link.net which has the same
 > > IP's as what the virtual hosts are using.  Might this be the problem?
 >
 > Yup this is the problem.  Call it non-intuitive (I'll agree with you), but
 > the global ServerName dictates what ip addresses will be considered for
 > HTTP/1.1 Host: based vhosting... which is almost never what anyone wants.
 > The standard workaround is this:
 This doesn't quite make sense--the global ServerName directive was
 pointing to BOTH IP's that I wanted, not just one.  The virtual hosts that
 I had a problem with were on the same IP's (I used the same dns .hosts
 file for vhost and every other domain to insure consistancy).  It seems
 like it chose to respond to HTTP 1.1 requests only on one of the two IP's
 that were specified in the global servername directive, which I would say
 is wrong, even given the limitations described.