www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Dean Gaudet <dgau...@arctic.org>
Subject Re: general/1197: VirtualHost directives don't respond to all the IP's that a name might resolve to.
Date Sun, 05 Oct 1997 01:10:02 GMT
The following reply was made to PR general/1197; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Dean Gaudet <dgaudet@arctic.org>
To: "Erik T. Brandsberg" <ebrandsb@shell.the-link.net>
Subject: Re: general/1197: VirtualHost directives don't respond to all the IP's that a name
might resolve to.
Date: Sat, 4 Oct 1997 18:02:11 -0700 (PDT)

 On Sat, 4 Oct 1997, Erik T. Brandsberg wrote:

 > The primary ServerName directive is vhost.the-link.net which has the same
 > IP's as what the virtual hosts are using.  Might this be the problem?

 Yup this is the problem.  Call it non-intuitive (I'll agree with you), but
 the global ServerName dictates what ip addresses will be considered for
 HTTP/1.1 Host: based vhosting... which is almost never what anyone wants.
 The standard workaround is this:

 # disable the global server
 ServerName localhost

 # define a vhost to match any otherwise unspecified ip address
 <VirtualHost _default_>
 ServerName whatever
 </VirtualHost>

 Dean