www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From "Erik T. Brandsberg" <ebran...@shell.the-link.net>
Subject Re: general/1197: VirtualHost directives don't respond to all the IP's that a name might resolve to.
Date Sun, 05 Oct 1997 00:40:03 GMT
The following reply was made to PR general/1197; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: "Erik T. Brandsberg" <ebrandsb@shell.the-link.net>
To: Dean Gaudet <dgaudet@arctic.org>
Subject: Re: general/1197: VirtualHost directives don't respond to all the IP's that a name
might resolve to.
Date: Sat, 4 Oct 1997 19:39:04 -0500 (CDT)

 Erik Brandsberg
 CIO, The Link
 On Fri, 3 Oct 1997, Dean Gaudet wrote:

 > This sounds like a local configuration problem, Apache does respond to all
 > addresses for each domain name used, at least it does for me.
 >
 > One guess is that you have the hostname in /etc/hosts and you're receiving
 > the /etc/hosts response rather than the DNS response -- and /etc/hosts
 Checked that, only one name is in the hosts (asside from localhost) and
 that is different than the names I'm using in the virtualhost directive.
 Good idea to check though.

 > The next guess is that the DNS name you're using has one address which
 > matches the global ServerName, and another address which doesn't.
 > Addresses matching the global ServerName (i.e. overlapping ip addresses)
 > are treated quite differently.

 The global servername is www.the-link.net with an IP address of
 209.12.240.129.  The virtual hosts are on various names, all of which
 resolve out to 209.12.240.131 and 206.25.198.4.  The server's primary IP
 address is 206.25.198.4.  Any ideas with this config?

 > You should also read the file htdocs/manual/dns-caveats.html since it
 > explains why you probably don't want to use DNS names in <VirtualHost>
 > statements, especially if reliability is an issue.

 The DNS servers are on the same local network and are backed up, and I
 have control of all the domains I host for DNS...

 > BTW, linux 1.2.30 doesn't exist ... do you mean 2.0.30?
 yep, my mistake.  :)  Work with too many OS's and revisions...

 > Dean

 Thanks for the help on this, but I don't think we've hit it yet...

 Erik