www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Charles Howes <cr...@ics.bc.ca>
Subject Re: general/1181: Too many virtual hosts cause cgi scripts to stop working
Date Tue, 30 Sep 1997 21:11:52 GMT
On Tue, 30 Sep 1997 Lars.Eilebrecht@unix-ag.org wrote:

> Date: Tue, 30 Sep 1997 04:48:45 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Lars.Eilebrecht@unix-ag.org
> To: apache-bugdb@apache.org, chowes@ics.bc.ca, lars.eilebrecht@unix-ag.org
> Subject: Re: general/1181: Too many virtual hosts cause cgi scripts to stop working
>
> Synopsis: Too many virtual hosts cause cgi scripts to stop working
>
> State-Changed-From-To: open-closed
> State-Changed-By: Lars.Eilebrecht@unix-ag.org
> State-Changed-When: Tue Sep 30 04:48:44 PDT 1997
> State-Changed-Why:
>
> This a frequently asked question.
> See http://www.apache.org/docs/misc/FAQ.html#fdlim
> for details.

Yes, I did find that just after submitting the bug.

This is why I'm glad I marked the bug 'Request for Improvement'.

I really think you should get it to print a useful error message to the
logs, other than 'could not spawn child'.

Possibly have the configure script determine the hard file descriptor
limit, or when the 'could not spawn child' error message is about to
be printed, try to open /dev/null two or three times and check for
errno==EMFILE; if so, change the error message to say 'out of file
descriptors'.

The 'silent failure' and/or 'useless error message' is something I'd
expect from Microsoft, not Apache!

Now that I've said my piece, I have to ask you how to set up two
separate httpd processes, one handling the first 75 ip-based virtual hosts
and the second handling the last 75.  I tried putting a Listen
directive in each VirtualHost, but that is disallowed.  What is the
right method for splitting the job like this?  (I can't believe that I
might have to start 150 different httpd processes.  That'd be stupid.)

--
Charles Howes -- chowes@ics.bc.ca