www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Lack Mr G M <gml4...@ggr.co.uk>
Subject Re: mod_cgi/1176: Apache cannot handle continuation line in headers
Date Mon, 29 Sep 1997 15:49:06 GMT
coar@hyperreal.org wrote:

> Synopsis: Apache cannot handle continuation line in headers
>
> State-Changed-From-To: open-closed
> State-Changed-By: coar
> State-Changed-When: Mon Sep 29 07:29:34 PDT 1997
> State-Changed-Why:
> This is not a bug nor an RFC violation.  The RFCs define
> how HTTP clients and servers communicate with each other,
> not how servers communicate with applications.  This falls
> into the realm of the CGI specification, not HTTP - and
> there's nothing in that specification that provides for
> continuation lines.

   I beg to differ (and not just because I have now sent the code to
fix this anyway).

   The draft CGI document that comes along with the CD on the O'Reilly
Apache book states:

--------------------
   The script returns a CGI response message.

      CGI-Response = *( CGI-Header | HTTP-Header ) NL [ Entity-Body ]
      CGI-Header   = Content-type
                   | Location
                   | Status
                   | extension-header

   The response comprises headers and a body, separated by a blank line.
   The headers are either CGI headers to be interpreted by the server,
   or HTTP headers to be included in the response returned to the client
   if the request method is HTTP.
--------------------

   I'm not sure what request method is in use here, but HTTP-Headers are
allowed, and that does include continuation lines.

--------------------
   HTTP headers

      The script may return any other headers defined by the HTTP/1.0
      specification [3]. The server must translate the header data from
      the CGI header syntax to the HTTP header syntax if these differ.
      For example, the character sequence for newline (such as Unix's
      ASCII NL) used by CGI scripts may not be the same as that used by
      HTTP (ASCII CR followed by LF). The server must also resolve any
      conflicts between headers returned by the script and headers that
      it would otherwise send itself.

> There are some people interested in enhancing and
> re-codifying the CGI specification; if you would like to
> participate in that effort, please let me know.

   I might be.  In particular I might be interested in pointing out
which bits are open to interpretation and should be clarified/made more
exact in the hope of making all clients and servers able to interact
properly all of the time.