www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From c...@decus.org (Rodent of Unusual Size)
Subject Re: mod_cgi/1176: Apache cannot handle continuation line in headers
Date Mon, 29 Sep 1997 20:30:03 GMT
The following reply was made to PR mod_cgi/1176; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: coar@decus.org (Rodent of Unusual Size)
To: APbugs@apache.org, gml4410@ggr.co.uk, Coar@decus.org
Subject: Re: mod_cgi/1176: Apache cannot handle continuation line in headers
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 1997 16:19:42 -0400

 From the fingers of Lack Mr G M flowed the following:

 >coar@hyperreal.org wrote:
 >> This is not a bug nor an RFC violation.
 >
 >   I beg to differ (and not just because I have now sent the code to
 >fix this anyway).
 >
 >   The draft CGI document that comes along with the CD on the O'Reilly
 >Apache book states:

     You've put your finger on the issue.  That's a draft version, and
     there's absolutely no requirement that anybody comply with a draft.
     In fact, it's rather more the opposite - implementors are somewhat
     DIScouraged from hewing too closely to an unfinalised specification.

 >> There are some people interested in enhancing and
 >> re-codifying the CGI specification; if you would like to
 >> participate in that effort, please let me know.
 >
 >   I might be.  In particular I might be interested in pointing out
 >which bits are open to interpretation and should be clarified/made more
 >exact in the hope of making all clients and servers able to interact
 >properly all of the time.

     That would be welcome input.

     So, at the moment we don't consider this behaviour to be a bug.
     I'll attach your patch (from the other PR) to this item and mark it
     as suspended so it can be revisited in the next feature
     consideration phase.  In the meantime, perhaps we can put your
     patch into the contrib area.

     #ken    P-)}