www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From John Line <j...@cam.ac.uk>
Subject general/1157: FancyIndexing with protected subdirectory causes unexpected error log entries
Date Sun, 21 Sep 1997 13:00:04 GMT

>Number:         1157
>Category:       general
>Synopsis:       FancyIndexing with protected subdirectory causes unexpected error log
entries
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
An apparently-spurious error is logged as a result of generating an index page
for a directory which includes a sub-directory which is protected against the
client.

With FancyIndexing enabled for a directory ("A"), no index.html, and a
subdirectory ("B") with .htaccess file which limits access by client domain,
an error

This appears to be harmless apart from any confusion the log entries might cause
and the potential for generating a lot of log entries if a popular directory
has a protected subdirectory.

access to <protdir> failed for <client>, reason: Client denied by server configurationin,
an error

(where <protdir> is the protected subdirectory "B" and <client> the client host)
is logged whenever a generated index is returned for directory "A" to a client
which is not allowed access to directory B.

It does not happen when there is an index.html in directory A. I cannot see any
reason for an error to be logged unless/until the client attempts to access the
protected directory's contents. The dynamic index returned to the client
includes details of the protected directory as normal.