www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Marc Slemko <m...@hyperreal.org>
Subject Re: general/1152: Apache DNS resolution backs up in named, eventually rendering server unusable.
Date Sat, 20 Sep 1997 19:37:26 GMT
Synopsis: Apache DNS resolution backs up in named, eventually rendering server unusable.

State-Changed-From-To: open-analyzed
State-Changed-By: marc
State-Changed-When: Sat Sep 20 12:37:25 PDT 1997
State-Changed-Why:
I'm really not sure that this is an Apache problem or that
we can do anything about it.  If the DNS query isn't timing
out, then your DNS server is not properly timing out.
If you can't make it work correctly, you may need to
turn off reverse DNS lookups.

What version of BIND are you using?  Try upgrading it.

Try pointing your machine at another name server on your
site that has a better version of named.

It would be possible to try modifying the timeouts for
name resolution, but I doubt that will help too much since
it is broken already.

The fact that restarting named fixes it indicates that
named is blocking in a query and not properly returning
an answer or a failure as it should.