www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From David Birnbaum <dav...@chelsea.net>
Subject Re: mod_log-any/1050: Logging of virtual server to error_log as well
Date Mon, 25 Aug 1997 05:30:02 GMT
The following reply was made to PR mod_log-any/1050; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: David Birnbaum <davidb@chelsea.net>
To: Marc Slemko <marcs@znep.com>
Subject: Re: mod_log-any/1050: Logging of virtual server to error_log as well
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 1997 01:28:19 -0400 (EDT)

 On Sun, 24 Aug 1997, Marc Slemko wrote:

 > On Mon, 25 Aug 1997, David Birnbaum wrote:
 >
 > > If you have the ErrorLog in a VirtualHost directive, then error message
 > > from that particular virtual server (including STDERR, which is waht I'm
 > > really interested in) go to that log.  I guess all that I really would
 > > want is some way to prepend the name of the virtual host to any of those
 > > error strings.  I don't understand how you bind a particular error message
 > > to a given output, but since it is done somewhere in the VirtualHost code,
 > > it seems as though that same mechanism could be used.
 >
 > Not really.  All that is done is a different file descriptor is for the
 > log.  The CGI is run with stderr pointing to that file.  Apache isn't in
 > the loop any more.  All that can be done easily is mess with what file
 > descriptor gets the output, we can't edit it in-stream.

 Hmmm...I see.  That makes sense; too bad there's not another way to get
 around it.  I suppose one could attach STDERR of the CGI process to a pipe
 on the httpd process and read it in that way to do the formatting, but
 that's a bit of code to put together, not to mention the possibility of
 deadlock to account for, since forking a child to handle it would be
 somewhat silly.

 Perhaps I'll dust off what's left of my C that hasn't been completely
 PERL'ized and see if I can make it do that....

 Thanks for the information, as well as a great server,

 David.