www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Lee Thomas <lee_tho...@credence.com>
Subject documentation/1036: Documentation only describes new installation, not upgrade
Date Thu, 21 Aug 1997 22:50:05 GMT

>Number:         1036
>Category:       documentation
>Synopsis:       Documentation only describes new installation, not upgrade
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       critical
The INSTALL instructions and README are targeted toward someone installing for
the first time.  It is not obvious how to upgrade from 1.2b10, for example,
to 1.2.3 (or subsequent!).  I was smart enough to create a separate document
directory rather than creating my document tree within the distribution, but
now I find myself running "diff -r webroot apache_1.2.3" to figure out which
files should be changed in my web root.
>How-To-Repeat:
1. On a new server, install 1.2.1
2. Read the release notice for 1.2.3, get it, and build it.
3. Try to onvert the webroot from the 1.2.1 distribution to 1.2.3 without losing
   any mods to configuration files, or any of your own HTML files.
>Fix:
Somehow you'll have to split the distribution into the server portion and the
webroot portion.  The server portion works fine as is - slickest upgrade I've
ever seen - but the webroot should be both a full tree for first-timers, and
a patch (Larry Wall's patch program) for those who have an installation up
and running.  The patch would complain about all my modifications, but I can
deal with that.

The README would need to change to have two paths:

    IF YOU ARE INSTALLING FOR THE FIRST TIME

and

    IF THIS IS AN UPGRADE OF A PRIOR VERSION OF APACH