www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Dean Gaudet <dgau...@arctic.org>
Subject Re: protocol/1014: Please, use Content-Location: header?
Date Wed, 20 Aug 1997 17:40:20 GMT
The following reply was made to PR protocol/1014; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Dean Gaudet <dgaudet@arctic.org>
To: Ka-Ping Yee <ping@parc.xerox.com>
Subject: Re: protocol/1014: Please, use Content-Location: header?
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 1997 22:01:48 -0700 (PDT)

 But index.html is really just an artifact of the implementation.  When you
 ask for /foo/ you're asking for the directory object, not the
 /foo/index.html object.  That the two are (sometimes) the same is really
 just an implmentation detail.  That's why I don't agree with doing this.

 If in the unix file system you could have a file and directory with the
 same name then index.html wouldn't be a special case...

 Some sites are "lazy" and refer to directories both by /foo/ and
 /foo/index.html, they would benefit from your proposed feature.  But it
 would hurt sites that deliberately hide these details from the user.

 I think caches using Content-Location would have the same problems with
 reliability that Netscape didn't agree with.  For example, suppose I
 access www.yadda.edu/~studenta/ and it includes Content-Location:
 http://www.yadda.edu/~studentb/ ... you've successfully poluted a cache.

 Dean