www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Marc Slemko <ma...@znep.com>
Subject Re: general/704: VirtualHost relative paths are being over-ridden by global Alias paths (fwd)
Date Sun, 17 Aug 1997 07:10:04 GMT
The following reply was made to PR general/704; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Marc Slemko <marcs@znep.com>
To: Apache bugs database <apbugs@apache.org>
Subject: Re: general/704: VirtualHost relative paths are being over-ridden by global Alias
paths  (fwd)
Date: Sun, 17 Aug 1997 01:08:03 -0600 (MDT)

 ---------- Forwarded message ----------
 Date: Mon, 23 Jun 97 18:17:27 PDT
 From: William Sommers <sommers@sfo.com>
 To: William Sommers <sommers@sfo.com>, Dean Gaudet <dgaudet@arctic.org>
 Cc: apache-bugdb@apache.org
paths

 On Mon, 23 Jun 97 15:43:26 PDT, I wrote:

  >> Are you saying that if someone accesses http://vhost/images/foobar.gif
  >> it does the wrong thing?

  > Exactly.  *IF* the URL is specified by *relative* path
  > "images/foobar.gif" within the site's HTML.  If the HTML is coded
  > using full http:// URLs instead of relative paths, all works fine.

 My apologies -- this last sentence is incorrect.

 I have set up a rudimentary site which should demonstrate the differences
 in behavior:

  http://www.newsgate.com
  http://amanda.sfo.com/~newsgate

 They are one and the same.  I have included links to both srm.conf and
 httpd.conf, so that you can inspect things yourself.

  uniquename is an Alias in srm.conf
  uniquename2 is not

 (Please let me know when you feel you no longer need that up -- it is, as
 you'll see, a live server and in my haste I've exposed items which would
 not normally ever be visible to non-staff.)

  William Sommers
  San Francisco Online
  Televolve, Inc.
  sommers@sfo.com