www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Mark Imbriaco <m...@itribe.net>
Subject documentation/975: VirtualHost definitions with ports other than the default are unintuitive..
Date Thu, 07 Aug 1997 12:50:01 GMT

>Number:         975
>Category:       documentation
>Synopsis:       VirtualHost definitions with ports other than the default are unintuitive..
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
The documentation does not make it clear that <VirtualHost> sections configured
with ports other than the one specified by the main server's Port directive
_must_ be accompanied by a matching Listen directive.  For example, the following
does not work:

----
Port 80
<VirtualHost 192.168.0.1:8000>
</VirtualHost>
----

However this will:

----
Port 80
Listen 192.168.0.1:8000
<VirtualHost 192.168.0.1:8000>
</VirtualHost>
----
>How-To-Repeat:

>Fix:
Configure ip:port based VirtualHosts to automatically Listen on a particular
port if it is given in the <VirtualHost> directive and is not being listened
on by default .. maybe.  I've not looked at how Apache parses the configuration
file from a technical point of view, so I don't know if it's feasible or not,
but the form _does_ ask for a suggestion. :-)

You could also just document it better and call it a 'feature'. :)
%0