www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Marc Slemko <m...@hyperreal.org>
Subject Re: mod_proxy/915: proxy server -- building and features
Date Mon, 04 Aug 1997 00:08:44 GMT
Synopsis: proxy server -- building and features

State-Changed-From-To: open-closed
State-Changed-By: marc
State-Changed-When: Sun Aug  3 17:08:43 PDT 1997
State-Changed-Why:
Thanks for the comments.

We are integrating a generic way to test for old broken
silly compilers into the next release.

While we are quite security concious, because of its very
design and size, even if you did chop most of it off,
Apache isn't really designed to be used as a proxy on a
dedicated firewall machine.  The idea of filtering
things will probably be more practical in 2.0, when we
will hopefully have an easier way to pass streams through programms.

I'm not sure we really want to be encouraging its use for
running on a firewall; the number of lines of code are bigger
than is good for such an application.  If someone has the
expertise to do it right, it can be practical, but
that is up to the individual.