www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@organic.com>
Subject Re: documentation/948: ServerPath doesn't work as excpected from the documentation.
Date Fri, 01 Aug 1997 18:20:03 GMT
The following reply was made to PR documentation/948; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Alexei Kosut <akosut@organic.com>
To: Sebastian Andersson <sa@hogia.net>
Subject: Re: documentation/948: ServerPath doesn't work as excpected from the documentation.
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 1997 11:16:33 -0700 (PDT)

 On Fri, 1 Aug 1997, Sebastian Andersson wrote:

 > documentation isn't clear about this and it would be more logical to let
 > the server rewrite the URL from server.domain.com/serverpath/path to
 > newserver.domain.com/path when a ServerPath match is made.

 Yes, but consider redirects. If the server blindly rewrote
 /serverpath/path to /path, and it needed at some point down the line to
 send a redirect, it wouldn't have any way to know to redirect it,
 actually, to /servetpath/path. So the code only does the automatic
 munching for "core" files (DocumentRoot-based).

 We went through all this when the ServerPath code was originally written,
 and decided that this was basically the best workable solution.

 Thanks

 -- Alexei Kosut <akosut@organic.com>