www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Pierre-Yves Kerembellec <...@vtcom.fr>
Subject os-solaris/945: Related to PR#883 : when using NFS under a chroot-ed environment, crash the network layers
Date Thu, 31 Jul 1997 08:20:02 GMT

>Number:         945
>Category:       os-solaris
>Synopsis:       Related to PR#883 : when using NFS under a chroot-ed environment, crash
the network layers
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
Using a chroot-patched Apache version, you can crash the Solaris network layers
if the accept-mutex lock file resides in an NFS-mounted area ... all the
socket are closed (even telnet session sometimes !) and the httpd (child and
parent) processes crash :-(
>How-To-Repeat:
Problem already solved
>Fix:
As explained in PR#883, setting the lock file outside a NFS mounted area
resolved the problem ...
Maybe a new real semaphore (using semget, ...) implementation
(USE_SEM_SERIALIZED_ACCEPT in http_main.c?) should be investigated for
systems that support semaphore facility (such as Solaris), instead of
file locking.

I also think you should default the DEFAULT_LOCKFILE define in httpd.h to
"/var/tmp/accept.lock", instead of "logs/accept.lock", since logs directories
are often NFS-mounted for logs centralization