www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Marc Slemko <ma...@znep.com>
Subject RE: os-solaris/888: SIGHUP won't restart EVEN WITH THE PATCH
Date Wed, 30 Jul 1997 01:20:04 GMT
The following reply was made to PR os-solaris/888; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Marc Slemko <marcs@znep.com>
To: Larry Rosenman-CyberRamp System Administration <ler@cyberramp.net>
Subject: RE: os-solaris/888: SIGHUP won't restart EVEN WITH THE PATCH
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 1997 19:13:52 -0600 (MDT)

 On Tue, 29 Jul 1997, Larry Rosenman-CyberRamp System Administration wrote:

 > The following reply was made to PR os-solaris/888; it has been noted by GNATS.
 >
 > From: Larry Rosenman-CyberRamp System Administration <ler@cyberramp.net>
 > To: "'Dean Gaudet'" <dgaudet@arctic.org>,
 >         Larry Rosenman-CyberRamp System Administration <ler@cyberramp.net>
 > Subject: RE: os-solaris/888: SIGHUP won't restart EVEN WITH THE PATCH
 > Date: Mon, 28 Jul 1997 14:54:45 -0500
 >

 >  Does this mean I can't get more than ~120 Vhosts on Solaris, even with 1.2.1?

 You should be able to hit close to 256 using a high slack line if
 you don't use a Listen directive for each host.  This isn't a
 limit on virtual hosts, but file descriptors.  If you use two log
 files per virutal host, that is two descriptors plus any for
 Listen directives.  You still have the Solaris limit of 256 FILE *
 descriptors, which are used for error logs.

 There may be some nicer fix in the future, ie. before 1.2.2.  We are
 still contemplating the options.

 Or just upgrade to 2.6 which should eliminate all the 256 limits
 and make the ap_slack stuff work anyway.  Sun decided that the
 sockets code in 2.x was just too horrid to make work so they threw
 it away and redid it for 2.6.