www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Roger Spooner <r...@cs.york.ac.uk>
Subject config/933: VirtualHost should support different port numbers
Date Tue, 29 Jul 1997 14:00:03 GMT

>Number:         933
>Category:       config
>Synopsis:       VirtualHost should support different port numbers
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
I've been thinking about name-based <VirtualHost> and trying to make it adequately compatible
with old web browsers.
I have already implemented the solution you suggest of having the virtualhost directories
also available as directories on the main server,
but I think that using different port numbers would be better because the HTML writers would
be able to specify relative URL's beginning with '/' if they wanted.
There are enough ports free on most machines to satisfy typical virtual-server requirements.
So, I'm suggesting that the same files be accessible as http://www.virtual.com/ and http://host.site.edu:8123/
and possibly http://host.site.edu/virtual/
<virtualhost www.virtual.com host.site.edu:8123>  will not work for name-based vhosts.
>Fix:
Change the parsing of name-based virtual hosts to allow different port numbers. The in-depth
explanation says that any port other than the default will be treated as an ip-based virtual
host