www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Gerald Anderson <gan...@netcomi.com>
Subject config/916: When using an NFS appliance (like Net Appl. Toaster) File Ownership issues before the switch to the final UID
Date Fri, 25 Jul 1997 14:50:01 GMT

>Number:         916
>Category:       config
>Synopsis:       When using an NFS appliance (like Net Appl. Toaster) File Ownership issues
before the switch to the final UID
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
>Release:        x - 1.2.x
>Environment:
Reading specs from /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i386-linux/2.7.2.1/specs
gcc version 2.7.2.1

Linux multi34.netcomi.com 2.0.29 #5 Sat May 10 13:06:58 CDT 1997 i686
This one isn't such a big deal, but thought you guys might want to know about it.
We are moving all of our client data over to a Network Appliances NFS Toaster.  The problem
is that when the server is started, and there are no log files for a virtual the server
creates them right away when the owning UID is still 0.  After the switch to
the 'real' UID the server can no longer write to the files.  This isn't really
an apache problem per se but I thought that it may be something you wanted to
look at in the future if it's a simple procedural change within the code.
>How-To-Repeat:
If you really needed to I could probably find a way to demonstrate it to you.  Just
email me.
>Fix:
Well, just as an in-house kludge, I went into the source and added a chown(2)
after all the log file opens, this wouldn't be a fix though