www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Dean Gaudet <dgau...@arctic.org>
Subject Re: os-sunos/911: Included Spencer regex package wont compile (undefined macros) (fwd)
Date Fri, 25 Jul 1997 04:10:01 GMT
The following reply was made to PR os-sunos/911; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Dean Gaudet <dgaudet@arctic.org>
To: Pat Myrto <pat@rwing.com>
Subject: Re: os-sunos/911: Included Spencer regex package wont compile (undefined macros)
(fwd)
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 1997 21:06:29 -0700 (PDT)

 On Thu, 24 Jul 1997, Marc Slemko wrote:

 >  I went thru what happened allready.  I really see no need repeat what
 >  was said.

 You never answered critical questions such as "what exactly are the
 error messages?"  i.e. how about cutting and pasting them so that we
 can read them exactly, rather than your interpretation of them?

 >  The package does not like to let one build the test/debug
 >  version of the regex package, as modified in the tarball.

 If you want a test/debug version of a regex package then get and
 install Spencer's original tarball, then use "Rule WANTHSREGEX=no"
 in your Configuration and apache will oblige by using your installed
 regex library.  You'll probably have to also add -lregex to EXTRA_LFLAGS
 or something, I don't know.  We don't pretend to support all possible
 configurations.

 >  Originally
 >  the Spencer regex pkg could be built with either a K&R cc or an ANSI cc
 >  with the appropriate flags in the makefile.  It was modified to not do
 >  that, after I did some diffs.

 Apache does not build with a K&R C compiler, there is no reason for us to
 continue to support K&R compilation of the regex library.

 >  I finally got the thing to build as I allready indicated, after seeing
 >  what changes were made by comparing the original with the regex included,
 >  and dealing with those changes.
 >
 >  You people included a package that is meant to be a standalone library
 >  in its own right, left the standalone build makefile and instructions
 >  in there, but modified the package, said nothing about doing that,
 >  which caused it to not compile as originally intended.  That resulted
 >  in the problems and a lot of confusion.  There is a problem in the
 >  makefile in that package that is apparantly sensitive to this,nd that
 >  causes the generated headers to not build correctly, and the compile to
 >  fail.

 Out of the box, apache builds on SunOS 4.1.4.  There is absolutely no
 reason for you to play in the regex directory.  That is why we don't
 document anything about the regex directory.  You got yourself into this
 problem by not following the installation instructions.

 The regex directly is mostly the original Spencer stuff because we see
 no reason to remove things.  If you follow the installation instructions
 you will never venture into this directory, and you'll never be confused
 by the existance of files we don't document.

 >  I also mentioned in a PS that the tarball does give a checksum error
 >  that was also the source of some concern here when extracted as the msg
 >  produced is what one sees on a truncated tar file.  This applies to
 >  the .Z form and the .gz form (ftping several times from several sites
 >  to determine if it was a bad ftp copy or was in fact in the original
 >  archive).  I don't know if anything important is truncated off the
 >  archive or not as of yet, it appears to lop off at the ./log subdir,
 >  and whatever followed that.

 This is a common problem when tar is reading from a gzip or compress
 pipe.  It is almost never a problem in the tar file... and in this case
 unless your download of the tar file messed up, then I wouldn't worry
 about this error.

 >  I tried to share some info with you about a problem I had with the
 >  package, that others may also run into, as well, if conditions are
 >  right, but I guess you are not interested in info about glitches unless
 >  you can replicate them under ANY condition, with no investigative
 >  effort involved.

 Remember the price tag you paid for this product.  If you have a system
 you wish to donate to us so that we have more systems to test on, then
 please say so.  Otherwise it is *you* the *user* that must do the legwork
 for us.  We have absolutely no idea how your system is configured.  And
 if you don't answer basic questions like, "what are the exact error
 messages it generates?" then what are we supposed to do?  Go out and buy
 an old sparc, buy sunos 4.1.whatever, install it, and magically try to
 replicate your environment?

 Thanks for choosing Apache.
 Dean