www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Marc Slemko <ma...@znep.com>
Subject Re: os-sunos/911: Included Spencer regex package wont compile (undefined macros) (fwd)
Date Fri, 25 Jul 1997 03:30:02 GMT
The following reply was made to PR os-sunos/911; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Marc Slemko <marcs@znep.com>
To: apbugs@apache.org
Subject: Re: os-sunos/911: Included Spencer regex package wont compile (undefined macros)
(fwd)
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 1997 21:27:27 -0600 (MDT)

 ---------- Forwarded message ----------
 Date: Thu, 24 Jul 1997 19:56:34 -0700 (PDT)
 From: Pat Myrto <pat@rwing.com>
 To: Marc Slemko <marc@hyperreal.org>

 <sigh>

 I went thru what happened allready.  I really see no need repeat what
 was said.  The package does not like to let one build the test/debug
 version of the regex package, as modified in the tarball.  Originally
 the Spencer regex pkg could be built with either a K&R cc or an ANSI cc
 with the appropriate flags in the makefile.  It was modified to not do
 that, after I did some diffs.

 I finally got the thing to build as I allready indicated, after seeing
 what changes were made by comparing the original with the regex included,
 and dealing with those changes.

 You people included a package that is meant to be a standalone library
 in its own right, left the standalone build makefile and instructions
 in there, but modified the package, said nothing about doing that,
 which caused it to not compile as originally intended.  That resulted
 in the problems and a lot of confusion.  There is a problem in the
 makefile in that package that is apparantly sensitive to this,nd that
 causes the generated headers to not build correctly, and the compile to
 fail.

 I also mentioned in a PS that the tarball does give a checksum error
 that was also the source of some concern here when extracted as the msg
 produced is what one sees on a truncated tar file.  This applies to
 the .Z form and the .gz form (ftping several times from several sites
 to determine if it was a bad ftp copy or was in fact in the original
 archive).  I don't know if anything important is truncated off the
 archive or not as of yet, it appears to lop off at the ./log subdir,
 and whatever followed that.

 What is there does build after what I experienced and described, but I
 dont know if its a good build yet, there are some site-specific things
 that need to be done here before its actually run.

 Now you can check into what I described, add the appropriate docs, or
 just cop an attitude, I really don't care.  I have consumed more of my
 time than this issue is worth (to me, at least).

 I tried to share some info with you about a problem I had with the
 package, that others may also run into, as well, if conditions are
 right, but I guess you are not interested in info about glitches unless
 you can replicate them under ANY condition, with no investigative
 effort involved.

 Later,
 Pat M

 --
 #include <std.disclaimer>    Pat Myrto (pat at rwing dot COM)     Seattle WA
 "A well read electorate being necessary to the advancement of a free society,