www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Mathieu Guillaume <...@isdnet.net>
Subject os-bsdi/889: Some URLs make the httpd process eat all CPU
Date Mon, 21 Jul 1997 05:10:01 GMT

>Number:         889
>Category:       os-bsdi
>Synopsis:       Some URLs make the httpd process eat all CPU
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
When some of my users request specifics URLs, the httpd process dealing with the
request grows fast until it uses 100% CPU. The request never finishes, the page
is not served, and the server cannot answer other requests (because of the CPU).
This only happens on a few URLs, but it's enough to make the server almost
unusable.
Examples of such URLS are:
http://wwwperso.hol.fr/~toumouss/bigbear/pics/geocitiz.jpg
http://wwwperso.hol.fr/~xgerbeau/jardin/up_level.gif
If I rename the file, the problem disappears. If I copy the file, remove the
original and rename the copy to the original, the problem remains. So this is
not a problem with my disk/filesystem (I can cat the file).
I don't have a rewrite rule that could possibly apply to those names.
The server has been running without any problem with the same config for the
past two months.
>How-To-Repeat:
I don't know how to repeat this problem. On my server, there's no problem, but
when accessing the same path on another server, everything is OK.
>Fix:
The temporary fix I use is to have a watchdog kill httpd processes that grow too
much, but that's not a viable solution