www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Dean Gaudet <dgau...@arctic.org>
Subject Re: os-linux/788: (1) mod_dld doensn't compile. (2) Virtual hosting is broken in certain circumstances
Date Sat, 19 Jul 1997 23:40:02 GMT
The following reply was made to PR os-linux/788; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Dean Gaudet <dgaudet@arctic.org>
To: Niels <niels@holding.pi.net>
Subject: Re: os-linux/788: (1) mod_dld doensn't compile. (2) Virtual hosting is broken in
certain circumstances
Date: Sat, 19 Jul 1997 16:39:39 -0700 (PDT)

 You can't get the old behaviour back.  It was hopelessly broken pre-1.1 by
 the addition of the name-based virtual hosts.  There's a bunch of
 documentation that describes workarounds.  I know it's hopelessly broken
 because I've spent far too much time trying to make it work, and plan on
 rewriting vhost support entirely.

 If you've got a <VirtualHost> that matches the ip of the machine that your
 server is on then it will have this undesirable new behaviour.  To work
 around it you can use:

 <VirtualHost _default_:*>
 ServerName whatever
 </VirtualHost>

 in place of your previous <VirtualHost>.

 Or you could place "ServerName localhost" outside of all <VirtualHost>
 sections, which fools apache into thinking that 127.0.0.1 is the address
 that it's supposed to do name-based vhost matching.

 Dean