www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Nathan J Kurz <n...@tripod.tripod.com>
Subject Re: general/843: StartServers directive works but children immediately die
Date Wed, 09 Jul 1997 17:00:02 GMT
The following reply was made to PR general/843; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Nathan J Kurz <nate@tripod.tripod.com>
To: marcs@znep.com (Marc Slemko)
Subject: Re: general/843: StartServers directive works but children immediately die
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 1997 12:55:43 -0400 (EDT)

 > On Wed, 9 Jul 1997, Nathan J Kurz wrote:
 >
 > >  Why are processes replenished at only one per second?  It would seem
 > >  that a deficit should be cleared up as soon as possible.
 >
 > Limiting the rate at which servers are created and killed is a good
 > thing(tm) because it helps avoid wild fluctuations due to very short-term
 > changes in load.  It is arguable that the method of limitation is bogus,
 > but it is partly a result of the current design structure.

 I agree on limitting the rate at which they are created and killed,
 but I guess I see replenishment as a different matter.  You are right,
 though, because of the architecture it would be hard for the parent to
 tell whether the child died because there were too many idle servers
 or whether it had died because MaxRequests had been exceeded (or if it
 died an unnatural death).

 Perhaps there could be a state added that would be
 'SERVER_TOO_MANY_IDLE' which would be set before the child died in
 that case?  Such that in any other case child would be immediately
 resurrected? But that is probably too complex to bother with.

 Say, why is SERVER_STARTING considered idle in the first place?

 Thanks!

 nate@tripod.com
 http://www.tripod.com