www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Paco Hope <p...@cs.virginia.edu>
Subject os-solaris/842: httpd can't bind port 80 and dies when it receives SIGHUP
Date Tue, 08 Jul 1997 18:50:02 GMT

>Number:         842
>Category:       os-solaris
>Synopsis:       httpd can't bind port 80 and dies when it receives SIGHUP
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
>Release:        1.2.1
>Environment:
SunOS www.cs.Virginia.EDU 5.5.1 Generic sun4m sparc SUNW,SPARCstation-10

Compiled with Sun's cc using "-fast" as an optimization argument.
The documentation for Sun's "-fast" is:
-fast           Specify common set of performance options

It turns on lots of optimization stuff.  I was using
-DUSE_FLOCK_SERIALIZED_ACCEPT and -DUSE_FCNTL_SERIALIZED_ACCEPT
but enabling or disabling them had no effect.

If I recompile with "gcc -O" I get the same behavior.
If I send a running httpd a SIGHUP (via kill -HUP) I get:
bind: Invalid argument
httpd: could not bind to port 80

This happens when I run multiple children.  So far, if I run with -X
to get a single server, SIGHUP kills it (rather than restarting) but
I don't get the httpd error message.  I'm not sure if that's correct
behavior or not.
>How-To-Repeat:
I'm not sure.  I'd be happy to send you a binary or my build tree
if you want me to.
>Fix:
I'm looking at how it handles SIGHUP.  I am not very familiar with the software,
so, my guesses won't be too good to start with