www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Dean Gaudet <dgau...@arctic.org>
Subject Re: Re[2]: config/710: IP-based VirtualHosts Broken.
Date Thu, 12 Jun 1997 07:18:29 GMT
On Wed, 11 Jun 1997, Lew Payne wrote:
> It appears that, under certain circumstances where no _default_
> VirtualHost is defined (which means we want to inherit the main
> host as our default), Apache insists on looking in ServerRoot for
> whatever URI is specified, even when DocumentRoot is specified.
> So far, the fix has been to create a <VirtualHost _default_:*>.

Is this on 1.2.0 code?  This smells of something that I fixed between
1.2b8 and 1.2b11 somewhere.

If you can reproduce this I would really like to see the config files
and the steps needed to reproduce it.  It needs fixing.

> On another note, I've gotten complaints from AOL users who could
> not get to our site.  What they seem to have in common is that they
> are using an external browser (Netscape).  This produces the classic
> "even tried multi" error message.  Taking no chances, I had browser
> match set to "AOL force-response-1.0"  What's strange is that when
> I get these people to try our four raw IP addresses, it works.  Are
> there any other reports of any strangeness like this?  On this one,
> I'm really at a loss.  It is not an isolated incident.

I have a suspicion this will stop happening now that you're using
"ServerName localhost" for the global server... could these users see
anything on the site, or were they stopped on the first access?

Ugh.

Dean