www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From "Ben 'The Con Man' Kahn" <xk...@cybersites.com>
Subject Re: mod_include/706: SSI is buffering output. Some scripts are now too slow.
Date Mon, 09 Jun 1997 22:02:21 GMT
On Mon, 9 Jun 1997 marc@hyperreal.com wrote:

> Synopsis: SSI is buffering output.  Some scripts are now too slow.

> State-Changed-From-To: open-closed
> State-Changed-By: marc
> State-Changed-When: Mon Jun  9 14:48:26 PDT 1997
> State-Changed-Why:
> Why do you think buffering makes it slow?  Are you sure
> it isn't just a perception?  What are the pages doing
> that takes so long that the buffering would slow it down?

	You're right.  The buffering doesn't make the page any slower.  I
imagine that it doesn't slow the page down at all.  (And who knows...
Maybe it's faster.)  The problem is that the user requests the page and
they don't get a response at all.  Without buffering, the user would see
the beginnings of the page being displayed and would get the impression
things were running faster.  (Plus, on slow modem links, there would be
nothing apperently different.)
	Although we probably should not be doing the page the way we are,
it works best when it is not buffered.  There should be an option to
either buffer or not as we requested.
						-Ben

Benjamin Kahn                        /,`.-'`'   -,  ;-;;'
(212) 924 - 2220                    |,4-  ) )-,_ ) /\
	"No, `Eureka' is Greek for `This bath is too hot.'"
        		        -- Dr. Who