www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Michael Hoffmann <mi...@barahir.com>
Subject other/779: Netscape "feature" doesn't work with Apache proxy server.
Date Tue, 24 Jun 1997 17:10:01 GMT

>Number:         779
>Category:       other
>Synopsis:       Netscape "feature" doesn't work with Apache proxy server.
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
A ncie feature of Netscape Navigator (version 3.01 used) is that a
simple entry of, say, a company name or other single word will be expanded
to a full URL.
Example:
Location: infoseek
expands to
Location: http://www.infoseek.com

Setting up the client to use a proxy makes breaks this feature, with
the proxy saying it can't resolve the request.
Apache logs show an attempt to reach http://infoseek in the above example.

This may be a Netscape bug, but I'd like to know for sure if there is
a way to tell Apache to honor these requests by simply trying the expansion
first.
>How-To-Repeat:
Navigator client pointing to an Apache 1.2 proxy server.
Type any single word in the Location: field.
>Fix:
A fairly simple rewrite rule that will be tried before failure