www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Kirk Bauer <k...@homecom.com>
Subject os-bsdi/775: More Info on BSDI 2.1 and Apache 1.2 -- Fairly Urgent
Date Tue, 24 Jun 1997 00:40:01 GMT

>Number:         775
>Category:       os-bsdi
>Synopsis:       More Info on BSDI 2.1 and Apache 1.2 -- Fairly Urgent
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       critical
>Release:        1.2
>Environment:

BSD/OS server9.homecom.com 2.1 BSDI BSD/OS 2.1 Kernel #0: Sun Jun 22 11:49:25 PD
T 1997     erez@server10.homecom.com:/usr/src/sys/compile/LOCAL  i386

We are running BSD/OS 2.1 as well as Apache on about 10 Pentium Pro machines.
Just this weekend, we replaced the kernels on every machine with identical
kernels -- up to patch level 27.  Before this upgrade, about half the machines
would work just fine with Apache 1.2 and the other half would *not* work with
1.2.  After the kernel upgrades, nothing changed... Apache 1.2 still did not
work on about half of the machines.

Each of these machines has the exact same kernel executable and exact same
Apache 1.2 executable.  All the machines are not identical, but they are
very similar in that they are Pentium Pro 200s with 64MB of RAM.
We were running Apache 1.1.1 before.  All but one
of these computers have over 500 virtual servers.  The server with less than
500 virtual web sites actually has about 3, and either version of Apache works
just fine.

We start the apache server the following way:
   limit -h openfiles unlimited
   limit -h maxproc unlimited
   limit openfiles unlimited
   limit maxproc unlimited
   echo -n ' httpd';       /usr/local/etc/httpd/httpd

The only thing we changed the default for on our Kernel was we set MAXUSERS
to 256.

When Apache doesn't work, nothing happens... it starts up but it just won't
respond to any requests.

Let me know if I can provide any help at all (possibly including limited
access to our servers) as we are *VERY* interested in getting 1.2 installed.
>How-To-Repeat:
Well, as all of these are production machines with hundreds of customers
on each machine, I can't help you here.  We have 1.2 running on the machines
that do work and 1.1.1 running on the machines that 1.2 won't work on...
>Fix:
No, sorry..