www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Dean Gaudet <dgau...@arctic.org>
Subject Re: config/717: Strange behaviour of AccessConfig
Date Mon, 23 Jun 1997 18:10:02 GMT
The following reply was made to PR config/717; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Dean Gaudet <dgaudet@arctic.org>
To: Lars Eilebrecht <Lars.Eilebrecht@unix-ag.org>
Subject: Re: config/717: Strange behaviour of AccessConfig
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 1997 11:05:08 -0700 (PDT)

 On Mon, 23 Jun 1997, Lars Eilebrecht wrote:
 > main-access.conf _only_ includes:
 >
 >   <Location />
 >   Options All
 >   </Location>
 >
 > virtual-access.conf is set to:
 >
 >   <Location /test>
 >   Options None
 >   </Location>

 Aha!  This works with <Directory> because directories have hierarchy and
 the filename is processed one component at a time.  i.e. it matches /,
 then /usr, then /usr/local, then ... but <Location> is not like that,
 it matches them in first to last order.  The main-access.conf is merged
 into all virtual hosts at the end of all config parsing.  To "merge"
 a location section it appends the main server's on to the end of the
 virtual server's.  (Ditto for directory).

 It might be more appropriate for us to include the main server's location
 sections before the virtual host's.  But we have to be careful changing
 that so that we don't break people's configs.  It isn't as much an issue
 for <Directory> because of the hierarchical nature of them.  But it
 still does have an effect on <Directory>.

 Dean