www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Wojciech Szenajch <...@csbi.waw.pl>
Subject mod_proxy/747: Incomplete files cuted by broken transmission are proxy-cached.
Date Wed, 18 Jun 1997 13:40:01 GMT

>Number:         747
>Category:       mod_proxy
>Synopsis:       Incomplete files cuted by broken transmission are proxy-cached.
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
Problem is mabye similar to 314, but files are not to short, but incomplete.
The file may have even several hundreds of kilobytes.

When transmission breaks during loading a file, file stays cuted on local harddisk
(using Netscape 3.0) and in Apache cache. Pressing "Reload" or trying iniciate
transfer from another machine ends with receiving uncomplete file from Apache
proxy cache. There is no way of deleting such file from WWW browser. The only
solution for user is to disable cache in browser and reload file again. This
cleans browser, but not Apache proxy.

It happened to ftp like file transfers but also to gif being part of html page.
>How-To-Repeat:
I have 1Mb/s link and this problem is not easy to reproduce. It happens once
for few days on slow connections to other sites. But not always.

>Fix:
Mabye check the status of incompete files in proxy cache and what happens when
the transfer is stopped by network (not by user). Is the status changed in this
situation? Is there any difference in status of complete nad uncomplete file%3