www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From ranjan koirala <ran...@wlink.com.np>
Subject config/740: trying to setup a BBS (Bulletin Borad Services)
Date Mon, 16 Jun 1997 06:20:01 GMT

>Number:         740
>Category:       config
>Synopsis:       trying to setup a BBS (Bulletin Borad Services)
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
System Used

Operating System: UNIX (Linux 4.0)
Kernel Version: 2.0.18
Apache Http Server Version: 1.1.1

I am trying to setup BBS (Bulleting Board Service) using Apache's http server.
I have already configured the httpd in Linux Workstation.
When I tried using lynx ( text only browser) I can access the html file
placed in /home/httpd/html/any created directory/any htmlfiles by typing
lynx http://www.domain_name/, so I guess
the httpd server is working and also I can see six httpd running on my
process with different PID.

(/home/httpd/html is the DocumentRoot directory and /etc/httpd is
ServerRoot)

To provide access to BBS to the customer, the following is the plan
how I should go about this.

I will configure PPP (Point to Point Protocol as server) in the server
computer (in which BBS will be running).
For the customer to login in our server I am planning to use mgetty
program. This program picks up the customers call and sends the login
prompt to the customer. The customers will enter their user name and the
password. Each user shell will consists of /usr/sbin/pppd such that PPP
(Point to Point Protocols) connection will be established between the
server computer ( thats in our end) and client computer ( thats on the
customers end).

The customers will be given a browser like Netscape or Internet Explorer
etc. to browse the information through BBS.

The customers will use the in built PPP and network facility of Windows
'95 to call and connect on our system.

Could you please suggest me on this. Do you
think that it will work as the plan that I explined above  or is there any
other better way to do this.

Any other suggestion, please: