www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Colm Kennelly <ckenne...@fimatjapan.com>
Subject general/709: HTTPD doesn't appear to start or initiate.
Date Tue, 10 Jun 1997 00:10:01 GMT

>Number:         709
>Category:       general
>Synopsis:       HTTPD doesn't appear to start or initiate.
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
Hi,
I have Apache HTTP Server downloaded and running, I think.
I succeeded in getting my ISDN TA (NEC PCIT55D1) working and connecting to my ISP, manually.
Next, I have to automate the dial-in. It looks a little tricky according to some documentation
that I have been reading.

I now have a problem accessing the www from a browser located on a pc connected via my intranet
to the proxy server machine.

I have installed the proxy server on a Linux PC with an ISDN TA and ethernet card having an
internal IP address of 201.50.1.75, netmask 255.255.255.0. My ppp connection to the ISP appears
in the routing table upon connect with two entries, one for the actaul connection between
the linux pc and the ISP and the other serving as a default route.
I used:
pppd -d -detach defaultroute /dev/modem & when initiating the ppp daemon.

So, my ppp connection gets dynamically assigned a valid internet IP address (or virtaul one)
- it seems that my ISP is also using a LINUX proxy server!

I have initiated my proxy server (with port 1080 specified in /conf/httpd.conf) as follows:
/usr/local/etc/apache/apache_1.2.0/src/httpd -f /usr/local/etc/apache/apache_1.2.0/conf/httpd.conf

When I do this, the cursor disappears and after approx. 3 secs. the screen returns to normal
input mode. When I examine the running processes with 'ps', the proxy server doesn't appear
as a process. Is this normal?

On my client side, I have set the client up with an IP address of 201.50.1.72, netmask 255.255.255.0
and gateway address of 201.50.1.75 (my Linux machine). I have defined all these settings in
the TCP/IP section of network settings in the Control Panel of the client pc (NT 3.51). In
Netscape, I have configured the client for manual Proxy Connection under Preferences/Advanced/Proxies
(Netscape v4.0 Beta5) specifying 201.50.1.75:1080 as the proxy server address.

In the browser, when I try to access, for example,

http://www.netscape.com

I get the following message:

'Host contacted.Waiting for reply...'

and the browser remains waiting until a timeout occurs.

Would it be conceivable that the proxy server isn't actually running at all and that when
I try to access the netscape homepage, I can contact it because of the ppp connection but
cant receive data from the netscape server because I dont have a valid Internet IP address
i.e. the proxy server is not hiding the browser pc from the rest of the world at all.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Yours sincerely,
Colm.