www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Max Ahston <...@ahston.se>
Subject other/701: Too many log files for Apache to handle?
Date Mon, 09 Jun 1997 12:30:02 GMT

>Number:         701
>Category:       other
>Synopsis:       Too many log files for Apache to handle?
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       critical
Iīve just run into a problem. I am about to run aprox 350 virtual domains
on one Apache server on a SGI server. However, I started to add a couple of
domains (more then I had before), I am using error, access, referer and
agent logs. However, Apache reported the following problem:

httpd: could not open error log file /usr/local/etc/httpd/logs/www.ahston.se-error_log.

I deleted the file thinking it was corrupt or something like that. I
deleted all my error logs.
Restarted Apache, and the same error. I have tried both Apache 1.1.3 and 1.2.0
and I get the same error. When I decided to cut away several Agent and
Referer logs, Apache went up smooth and nice.

However, I have only added 20 new domains, and have 250 more to go.
My question that follows is:
Is there some kind of lock how many files Apache handles at the same time?
Or is there something I missed? I havenīt found a hint reading the newsgroups,
FAQs and so on. Or, is this some kind of bug? I am clueless....
>How-To-Repeat:
You could get my httpd.conf file or setting up 100 virtual domains all
running with Agent, referer, error and Access logs.
>Fix:
No