www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Bryan Murphy <br...@hcst.com>
Subject suexec/675: Apache passes wrong value to suEXEC in regards to virtual hosts.
Date Wed, 04 Jun 1997 21:10:02 GMT

>Number:         675
>Category:       suexec
>Synopsis:       Apache passes wrong value to suEXEC in regards to virtual hosts.
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       critical
We are attempting to use suEXEC on the latest version of Apache.  I setup all the files, compiled
it, set our virtual hosts, and the permissions.  Created a directory off of the virtual hosts
directory with a file.

/home/web/systran/public_html/cgi/message.cgi

and on my directory:

/home/hcst/bryan/public_html/cgi-bin/message.cgi

Calling message.cgi from my directory works fine, but not from www.systran.com (which is our
virtual host).  The virtual host directive has the User and Group
options set in it.

So, after much hair tearing, I took a look at what suEXEC is doing.  It seems that apache
is calling suEXEC as such:

(http://www.hcst.com/~bryan/)
suexec ~bryan hcst blah blah blah

and

(http://www.systran.com/)
suexec systran web blah blah blah

The problem is that suEXEC checks for the ~ at the beginning of the user name to determine
wether it is off the users root or the main webs root.  Obviously, since Apache is not passing
systran as ~systran, suEXEC is not recognizing this user as a sub user and is trying to find
the file in the main web's root.

I haven't traced this into apache yet to know exactly why apache is doing this.  I'm going
to do that tomorrow.  I'll should be able to provide more insight tomorrow.
>How-To-Repeat:
Not any real way I can think of off hand except by setting up a virtual host and trying to
use suEXEC on it.
>Fix:
Take a look in apache.  The problem appears to be that apache is passing an inconsistent value
to suEXEC