www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From c...@decus.org (Rodent of Unusual Size)
Subject Re: documentation/626:
Date Tue, 03 Jun 1997 20:40:01 GMT
The following reply was made to PR documentation/626; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: coar@decus.org (Rodent of Unusual Size)
To: APBugs@apache.org, Coar@decus.org
Subject: Re: documentation/626:
Date: Tue, 03 Jun 1997 16:31:41 -0400

 [Text from originator, accidentally attached to the wrong part of the
 bugdb]

 Here's the appropriate part of access.conf for my test machine.

 <Location /server-status>
 SetHandler server-status
 order deny,allow
 deny from all
 allow from 127.0.0.1
 require valid-user
 AuthName Server Status: Use 'anonymous' and your email address for access
 AuthType basic                           #********
 AuthUserFile conf/server-passwd          #********
 Anonymous_Authoritative on
 Anonymous anonymous guest
 Anonymous_LogEmail on
 Anonymous_VerifyEmail on
 Anonymous_NoUserID off
 </Location>

 If either or both of the two marked lines are commented out, I get
   "access to /server-status failed for 127.0.0.1, reason: configuration error:
   couldn't check user.  No user file?"
 messages in the error log.

 I've done some further testing and these lines are needed *only* if they are not
 otherwise defined. I tried adding them in a "<Directory />" section and it
 works. My current setup did not have them. Seems like they have to be "visible"
 in some way.

 It's not a big deal. I just think it should be stated clearly in the
 documentation.

 John