www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Lars Eilebrecht <...@unix-ag.org>
Subject mod_rewrite/656: Problem with mod_rewrite and proxy requests
Date Mon, 02 Jun 1997 16:20:02 GMT

>Number:         656
>Category:       mod_rewrite
>Synopsis:       Problem with mod_rewrite and proxy requests
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
I'm not sure it it's really a problem/bug of mod_rewrite, but here's the
description.

When I use [P]-redirects everything is fine unless I activate
a parent cache via 'ProxyRemote'.

My test configuration:

  RewriteRule ^/test(.*)$ http://www.si.unix-ag.org/foobar$1 [P]

and

  ProxyRemote * http://www-cache.uni-siegen.de:3128

When I access the URL-Path /test/ the Apache (mod_proxy) issues the
request:

  GET /test/ HTTP/1.0
  Host: www.si.unix-ag.org

But this request is wrong, because /test/ is the _local_ URL-path but
not the URL-path of the remote server which is - in this test -
http://www.si.unix-ag.org/foobar/.

When I disable ProxyRemote the correct page is retrieved...

The reason why I'm using mod_rewrite as the category of this bug report
is that it's very strange that mod_proxy sees the local URL that is
used in the RewriteRule directive.

Please note that I reported a very similar bug with ProxyRemote
several weeks ago.

P.S.: The parent proxy mentioned in the above example is a Squid-Cache
       (1.1.10), but I also used a dummy daemon to check the request
       Apache made. So it's not a problem with the parent cache itself,
       because the syntax of the request is ok, but contains the wrong
       URL-Path.