www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Homer Smith <ho...@lightlink.com>
Subject general/652: load spikes every few minutes
Date Mon, 02 Jun 1997 01:30:02 GMT

>Number:         652
>Category:       general
>Synopsis:       load spikes every few minutes
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
>Release:        1.2b11
>Environment:

     SunOS 4.1.4 sun4m fully patched to present time from SunSolve.

     gcc 2.7.2.f.1

     This is a long standing problem from WAY BACK, that we have
fixed only by commenting out certain parts of the code in http_main.c

     As a vanilla apache runs, we get significant load spikes
that send the load to 10 or more every few minutes.  This causes
momentary freezing of the system and general stickiness.

      The load spikes do NOT seem to be CPU based, but I/O based,
as no particular process shows a high cpu utilization using top
at that moment.  ps never shows anything.  The spikes are VERY fast,
and subside as fast as they come.  They are quite visible using
xload under X11.

     By commenting out a certain section of http_main.c, the
load spikes go away and everything runs smoothly.

     The problem is not repeatable, we have never been able to cause
it happen at will by hitting on any single web page.  However
they happen randomly and continuously every few minutes.

>How-To-Repeat:

>Fix:

     Yes, the patch that fixes it is at

     ftp://ftp.lightlink.com/pub/homer/apache