www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Daniel O Winkless <w...@usgs.gov>
Subject os-dgux/651: Have to turn off optimization
Date Sun, 01 Jun 1997 17:50:02 GMT

>Number:         651
>Category:       os-dgux
>Synopsis:       Have to turn off optimization
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
Hi Folks,
        First, let me say, I think Apache is GREAT!  Bravo and Thank
You.
        I work for the United States Geological Survey.  We are using
the Apache Server at bunches of sites are are very pleased with the
speed, flexability and reliability of the server.  We are primarilly a
Unix house using DG/UX 5.4R3.10 on Motorolla 88100 based AViiON
workstations and servers.

        I have had one recurring problem with compiling Apache: if I
permit the default optimization level (-O2), the server consumes all
memory and all swap before a single useful function is performed.  I
cannot use -O1, either -- I have to eliminate optimization completely
(set "OPTIM=" in Configuration).  That's fine with me and I am not
complaining -- only passing on my experience.  I find it astounding
that y'all even have dgux as one of your known platforms:

% Configure
Using config file: Configuration
Using Makefile template file: Makefile.tmpl
 + configured for DG/UX 5.4 platform
 + setting C compiler to gcc
%

Wow!
        Actually, I do not know if this problem still holds in 1.2b11.
Though I fetched and compiled 1.2b11 this morning, I didn't even
bother to try any optimization.  I just set "OPTIM=" in Configutation
and I'm running.

        So, again, Thank You on behalf of the USGS.

                Dan Winkless
                wink@usgs.gov
                (505)262-5338

->  This message is being posted to obtain or provide technical
->  information relating to my duties at the U.S. Geological Survey.
->  Opinions expressed are my own and do not reflect endorsement by
->  or policies of the USGS. (Sorry.)
>How-To-Repeat:

>Fix:
Other than turning off optimization, no.
%0