www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Paul Sutton <p...@ukweb.com>
Subject Re: Changed information for PR mod_negotiation/170
Date Tue, 13 May 1997 21:01:20 GMT
On Tue, 13 May 1997 coar@hyperreal.com wrote:
> Synopsis: Possible bug WRT default language vs. language negotioation
>
> State-Changed-From-To: open-feedback
> State-Changed-By: coar
> State-Changed-When: Tue May 13 11:29:11 PDT 1997
> State-Changed-Why:
> Apologies for the delay in getting back to you.
> Some changes were made in the area of negociation.  Can
> you reproduce this with a more recent beta (such as
> 1.2b8 or 1.2b10)?  What happens if you ask for "foo" rather
> than "foo.html"?

Ken, I can't believe I missed this one. Since you're dealing, I'm NOT
cc:ing this to the user, to prevent user confusion! Feel free to pretend
you wrote this if you want, for you next email to him....

//pcs

----

The answer is that this behavior is the designed, documented one. If the
file exists (foo.html), content negotiation will *not* take place (even if
foo.html.de, etc, exist).

In

  http://www.apache.org/docs/content-negotiation.html

it says

"The effect of MultiViews is as follows: if the server receives a request
 for /some/dir/foo, if /some/dir has MultiViews enabled, and /some/dir/foo
 does not exist, then the server reads the directory looking for files
 named foo.*, and effectively fakes up a type map ....".

(replace foo by foo.html and you get exactly the situation described). If
you want a default if no language exists, and want to request foo.html
rather than the preferable foo, replace foo.html by foo.html.html (yep,
repeat the mime type bit).