www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Andrew White <awh...@dca.net>
Subject Re: Changed information for PR os-bsdi/611
Date Tue, 27 May 1997 15:56:34 GMT
Hi Marc,

Thank you for following up with me.

I have 284 VirtualHosts defined and working on my production web server,
all using separate access_log and error_log files, on our BSDI 2.1 box
running Apache 1.1.3 (actually a manually patched 1.1.1).

I searched the Bug database with bugdb.cgi, and then I e-mailed the
submitters of PR#'s 550 and 295 -- based on e-mail with those individuals,
those PR#'s appear to be the same, or a related, problem as what I
experience -- more than 128 virtual hosts under BSDI 2.1 does not work
with Apache 1.2b7 or 1.2b10. I have cc'd the submitters of those two bug
reports on this message.

I would be happy to give you access to a server that has both Apache
1.1.x and 1.2b10.  I have an alternate httpd.conf file set up for 1.2b10
to bind to port 8080 for testing purposes (my production server, running
Apache 1.1, listens on port 80 of course).  1.2b10 works fine with a few
virtual hosts, but when > 128 are defined, httpd accepts connections but
fails to respond to them, or closes the connection immediately.

I am happy to help resolve this problem in whatever way I can; I don't
think I can be much help at the source code level, but I would be happy
to provide remote access to a BSDI 2.1 box if you want to have a platform
for testing.  I can also send you my httpd.conf, or other .conf files,
for your review if needed.

Thanks again for your help.

-Andrew White
 DCANET

On Fri, 23 May 1997 marc@hyperreal.com wrote:

> Synopsis: Web server does not respond to requests with > 128 virtual hosts
>
> State-Changed-From-To: open-analyzed
> State-Changed-By: marc
> State-Changed-When: Fri May 23 22:19:37 PDT 1997
> State-Changed-Why:
> This is almost certainly a file descriptor limitation as
> described in:
>
> 	http://www.apache.org/docs/misc/FAQ.html#fdlim
>
> This is normal and not an Apache problem.
>
> You imply that it _does_ work better under 1.1.x.  Are you
> sure of that?  How many virtual hosts (well, logfiles) did
> you have working under 1.1.x?

 Andrew White                      awhite@dca.net  andrew@white.com
 DCANET              |      Internet access for the Delaware Valley
 http://www.dca.net/ |             (302) 654-1019 or (800) 784-4788
 info@dca.net        | Premium Internet access at affordable prices