www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Richard Windmann <richa...@ns.telegroup.com>
Subject mod_proxy/612: Proxy FTP Authentication Fails
Date Fri, 23 May 1997 21:10:01 GMT

>Number:         612
>Category:       mod_proxy
>Synopsis:       Proxy FTP Authentication Fails
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical

ftp://user:password@host.domain.com works fine.

ftp://user@host.domain.com does not work.  This URL works with no other
proxy server except Netscape Proxy Server (Which throws up a authentication
box in the absence of a password.  We've tried http-gw, Microsoft, etc.
We run Apache for our Web servers, and would LOVE to make it our proxy.
However, users really appreciate not having to enter their sensitive
passwords in the URL when trying to FTP in their browser.
>How-To-Repeat:
Sure - just ftp://user@host.domain.com in your browser (which of course, is
configured to use an Apache proxy server for ftp).
>Fix:
I've tried modifying proxy_ftp.c and proxy_util.c with no luck whatsoever.
(I was kinda hoping is was a security measure that I could simply "remove"
and recompile...) :-%2