www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Ernst Heiri <he...@switch.ch>
Subject Re: Changed information for PR mod_include/600
Date Fri, 23 May 1997 08:15:52 GMT
> Synopsis: A smarter "Last Modified" value for SSI documents
>
> State-Changed-From-To: open-closed
> State-Changed-By: dgaudet
> State-Changed-When: Thu May 22 22:42:47 PDT 1997
> State-Changed-Why:
> Unfortunately it's not at all easy to do this in one pass
> over the input files... especially because the headers have
> been sent before any of the input files are processed.  Changing
> that behaviour can be quite expensive... there are possibilities
> that have been tossed around.  But nothing has been coded up
> yet.
>
> Thanks for using Apache!
> Dean

Hi Dean,
Thanks for your answer - it is not completly satisfying to me.

Using SSI for standard headers and footers in *.html documents is
a practical design method used by an increasing number of webmasters.
(Most of them not even know that they prevent apache to send a
"Last Modification" value when using SSI and thus prevent any
sensible caching of their documents.)

We will use "ExpiresByType" for setting a default Expires value for all
*.html documents and "meta files" with Expires for any exception as a
workaround. (Using "XBitHack" is a hack in my opinion)

But anyway - workarounds may be a solution for me - but apache should work
with the normal configuration as good as possible.

I think it's in your interest to provide documents to as muche people
as fast as possible. In the next years only caching will give some
help against overloaded networks *and* overloaded web servers.

I hope you will reconsider to find a way to improve your great software
to be more cache friendly.
(There are also endusers using a webserver not only providers.)

Best regards,
Ernst

----------------- SWITCH Swiss Academic & Research Network ------------------
Ernst Heiri                    Voice: +41 1 268 1540  (direct: 1543)
SWITCH Head Office             Fax  : +41 1 268 1568
Limmatquai 138                 Mail : heiri@switch.ch
CH-8001 Zurich, Switzerland    Mail : S=heiri;O=switch;P=switch;A=400net;C=ch;