www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Flavio Veloso <flavi...@centroin.com.br>
Subject documentation/595: mod_auth_db* doesn't work if mod_auth isn't compiled in (but the docs don't say this)
Date Sun, 18 May 1997 01:20:01 GMT

>Number:         595
>Category:       documentation
>Synopsis:       mod_auth_db* doesn't work if mod_auth isn't compiled in (but the docs
don't say this)
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
I'm not sure if it's a documentation bug or actually a bug in Apache. The problem is
that mod_auth_db* only works if mod_auth is compiled in but the docs doesn't
mention this. mod_auth's page is clear: "it provides for user authentication
using textual files". It seems that if one wants to do user authentication
using only db files, to chop off mod_auth from Configuration is a harmless
thing to do. It isn't. When user authentication takes place, the authenticated
user gets a 500 Server Error and Apache logs the (somewhat crypt) "couldn't
check group. No groups files?" message in error_log.
>How-To-Repeat:
Compile Apache with mod_auth_db but without mod_auth and try to do some
authentication.
>Fix:
Nope, if it's a Apache bug. I don't know very much about Apache internals...

Correct mod_auth.html if it's just a documentation mistake.

%0